More Deceptive Temperance Tactics
The head of the old Anti-Saloon League, Wayne Wheeler, often bragged about the many deceptions he used in promoting National Prohibition in the US. It seems that many current alcohol activists may have studied Wheeler’s writings.
Anti-alcohol consultant Dick Malec appears to have been behind an alcohol election flyer with a letter supposedly from a Saudi prince seeking to spread “cheap liquor in your neighborhood,” according to the Dallas Morning News.
Malec has also been associated with a group involved in campaigns against legalizing alcohol. The Texas Ethics Commission recently ruled that the group’s manager violated state election law during an earlier anti-alcohol campaign.
Deception and misrepresentation have a long tradition in the temperance movement and characterize temperance organizations today.
- Hanson, David J. Wayne Bidwell Wheeler. American National Biography. NY: Oxford university Press, 1999. (Wayne Wheeler was the de facto leader of the Anti-Saloon League and was the single most powerful leader of the American temperance movement)
- Hogan, Charles M. Wayne B. Wheeler: Single Issue Exponent. Cincinnati, OH: University of Cincinnati, Ph.D. dissertation, 1986.
- McCann, Ian. Rowlett alcohol flyer raises questions: Printer says “prince” letter originated with opponent of legalization. Dallas Morning News, 6-1-04.
- Nish, Dennis. Prohibition. San Diego, CA: Greenhaven Press, 2003.
- Shaw, Elton Raymond and Wheeler, Wayne Bidwell. Prohibition: Coming or Going? Berwyn, IL: Shaw Publishing Co., 1924.
- Steuart, Justin and Dinwiddie, Edwin. Wayne Wheeler, Dry Boss: An Uncensored Biography of Wayne B. Wheeler. NY: Fleming H. Revill, 1928.
- Wheeler, Wayne. How to Enforce National Prohibition. Westerville, OH: American Issue Publishing Co., 1927.
- Wheeler, Wayne B. Rum Rebellions: Past and Present. Westerville, OH: American Issue Publishing Co., n.d.
- Wheeler, Wayne Bidwell. Is Prohibition a Success after Five Years? Westerville, OH: American Issue Publishing Co., 1925.
Filed Under: Misinformation