Reducing Alcohol-Related Problems
Readings on Drinking Alcohol by College and University Students
- Abejo, J. When Ivy Walls are Left Behind, So's the Bottle: Despite Excesses Observed in College Fraternities and Sororities, Study Finds Alcohol Use Drops as Graduates Enter Workplace. Knight-Ridder, March 12, 2001.
- Alcohol amnesty at college. The Herald, February 14, 2008.
- Barnett, NP; Murphy, JG; Colby, SM; Monti, PM. Efficacy of counselor vs. computer-delivered intervention with mandated college students. Addictive Behaviors. 2007; 32:2529–2548.
- BASICS -- Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention of College Students. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Berkowitz, Alan D. The Social Norms Approach: Theory, Research and Annotated Bibliography. Trumansburg, NY, 2003.
- Bersamin, M; Paschall, MJ; Fearnow-Kenney, M; Wyrick, D. Effectiveness of a web-based alcohol-misuse and harm-prevention course among high- and low-risk students. Journal of American College Health. 2007;55:247–254.
- Borsari, B; Carey, KB. Effects of a brief motivational intervention with college student drinkers. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2000;68:728–733.
- Chiauzzi, E; Green, TC; Lord, S; Thum, C; Goldstein, M. My student body: A high-risk drinking prevention web site for college students. Journal of American College Health. 2005;53:263–274.
- Clapp, J. D., et al. Personal and environment predictors of blood alcohol concentrations: A multi-level study of college parties, Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 2008, 32(1), 100-107.
- Dimeff, LA; McNeely, M. Computer-enhanced primary care practitioner advice for high-risk college drinkers in a student primary health-care setting. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice. 2000;7:82–100.
- Dimeff, L., et al. Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASICS): A Harm Reduction Approach. NY: Guilford, 1999.
- Donohue, B; Allen, DN; Maurer, A; Ozols, J; DeStefano, G. A controlled evaluation of two preventative programs in reducing alcohol use among college students at low and high risk for alcohol related problems. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education. 2004;48:13–33.
- Doumas, D.M., McKinley, L.L., and Book, P. Evaluation of two Web-based alcohol interventions for mandated college students, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2008, DOI: 10.1016/j.jsat.2008.05.009
- Elliott, J.C., Carey, K.B. and Bolles, J.R. Computer-Based Interventions for College Drinking: A Qualitative Review, Addictive Behavior, 2008 33(8), 994-1005.
- Foss, R. D., et al. BAC's of University Students Returning Home at Night. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Alcohol, Drugs, and Traffic Safety. Barlange, Sweden. Swedish National Road Administration, 2000.
- Haines, Michael P. A Social Norms Approach to Preventing Binge Drinking at Colleges and Universities. Newton, MA: Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention, 1996.
- Hammond, J.T. Alcohol amnesty pushed at Clemson. The Herald, February 9, 2008.
- Johannessen, K., et al. A Practical Guide to Alcohol Abuse Prevention: A Campus Case Study in Implementing Social Norms and Environmental Management Approaches. Tucson, AZ: Campus Health Service, The University of Arizona, 1986.
- Kypri, K; Saunders, JB; Gallagher, SJ. Acceptability of various brief intervention approaches for hazardous drinking among university students. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2003;38:626–628.
- LaBrie, J. W., Migliuri, S., & Cail, J. A night to remember: A harm-reduction birthday card intervention reduces high-risk drinking during 21st birthday celebrations. Journal of American College Health, 2009, 57(6), 659-663.
- Lee, Min-Zhui. Students and alcohol: Not a smart mix. Missourian, July 30, 2009.
- Molnar, D.S, et al. A longitudinal examination of alcohol use and subjective well-being in an undergraduate sample. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 2009, 70(5), 704-713.
- Moore, MJ; Soderquist, J; Werch, C. Feasibility and efficacy of a binge drinking prevention intervention for college students delivered via the internet versus postal mail. Journal of American College Health. 2005;54:38–44.
- Paschall, MJ; Bersamin, M; Fearnow-Kenney, M; Wyrick, D; Currey, D. Short-term evaluation of a web-based college alcohol misuse and harm prevention course (College Alcohol). Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education. 2006;50:49–65.
- Perkins, H. Wesley. Social norms and the prevention of alcohol misuse in college contexts. Journal of Studies on Alcohol/Supplement No. 14, 2002.
- Perkins, H. Wesley and Craig, David. A Multifaceted Social Norms Approach to Reduce High-Risk Drinking. Newton, MA: The Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention, Education Development Center, Inc., 2002.
- Steinman, K.J. College students' early cessation from episodic heavy drinking: prevalence and correlates. Journal of American College Health, 2003, 51(5), 197-204.
- Thombs, D.K. et al. Field assessment of BAC data to study late-night college drinking. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 2003, 64(3), 322-330.
- Turrisi, R., Larimer, M.E., Mallett, K.A., Kilmer, J.R., Ray. A.E., Mastroleo, N.R., Geisner, I.M., Grossbard. J., Tollison, S., Lostutter, T.W., & Montoya, H. A randomized clinical trial evaluating a combined alcohol intervention for high-risk college students. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 2009, 70(4), 555-567.
- Walters, ST; Vader, AM; Harris, TR. A controlled trial of web-based feedback for heavy drinking college students. Prevention Science. 2007;8:8
- Wechsler, Henry, et al. Environmental correlates of under age alcohol use and related problems of college students. Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2000, 19(1), 24-29.
- Wechsler, H., et al. College alcohol use: A full or empty glass? Journal of American College Health, 1999, 47, 247-252.
- Wechsler, H., et al. Changes in binge drinking and related problems among American college students between 1993 and 1997: Results of the Harvard School of Public Health College Alcohol Survey. Journal of American College Health, 1998, 47, 57-68.
- White, HR; Morgan, TJ; Pugh, LA; Celinsaka, K; LaBouvie, EW; Pandina, RJ. Evaluating two brief substance-use interventions for mandated college students. Journal of Studies on Alcohol. 2006;67:309–317.
- Wood, P. K., Sher, K. J. and Rutledge, P. C. College student alcohol consumption, day of the week, and class schedule. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 2007, 31(7), 1195-1207.
This site does not dispense medical, legal, or any other advice and none should be inferred.
For more fine print, read the disclaimer.