Published Resources on Alcohol and Diabetes
- Avogaro, A., et al. Acute alcohol consumption improves insulin action without affecting insulin secretion in type 2 diabetic subjects. Diabetes Care, 2004 (June 6), 27(6), 1369-1374.
- Bell, D. Alcohol and the NIDDM patient, Diabetes Care, 1996, 19(5), 509-513.
Carlsson, S., et al. Alcohol consumption and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a 20-year follow-up of the Finnish Twin Cohort Study. Diabetes Care, 2003, 26(10), 2785-2786.
- Beulens, J., Stolky, R. P., van der Schouw, Y. T. , Grobbee, D. E., Hendriks, H., and Bots, M. L. Alcohol consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes among older women. Diabetes Care, 2005 (December), 28, 2933-2938.
- Conigrave, K., et al. A prospective study of drinking patterns in relation to risk of Type 2 diabetes among men. Diabetes, 2001, 50, 2390-2395.
- Davies, M.J., et al. Effects of moderate alcohol intake on fasting insulin and glucose concentrations and insulin sensitivity in postmenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2002, 287(19), 2559-2562.
- Facchini, F., et al. Light-to-moderate alcohol intake is associated with enhanced insulin sensitivity, Diabetes Care, 1994 (February), 17(2).
- Ford, Gene. The Science of Health Drinking. San Francisco, CA: Wine Appreciation Guild, 2004, chapter 13, Diabetes Mellitus..
- Hu, F., et al. Diet, lifestyle and the risk of Type 2 diabetes mellitus in women. New England Journal of Medicine, 2001, 345(11), 790-797.
- Kopper, L., et al. Moderate alcohol consumption lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Diabetes Care, 2005, 28, 719-725
- Lazarus, R., et al. Alcohol intake and insulin levels: The Normative Aging Study. American Journal of Epidemiology, 1997, 145, 909-916.
- Mingardi, R., et al. Alcohol intake is associated with a lower prevalence of peripheral vascular disease in non-insulin dependent diabetic women. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, 1997, 7(4).
- Rimm, E., et al. Prospective study of cigarette smoking, alcohol use and the risk of diabetes in men. British Medical Journal, 1995, 310, 555-559.
- Solomon, C. G., et al. Moderate alcohol consumption and risk of coronary heart disease among women with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Circulation, 2000, 102, 494-499.
- Tanner, L. Light to moderate drinking cuts diabetes risk in women, too. Associated Press, 6-10-03; National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
Umed, A., et al. Alcohol consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus among US male physicians. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2000, 160, 1025-1050
- Valmidrid, C. T., et al. Alcohol intake and the risk of coronary heart disease mortality in persons with older-onset diabetes mellitus. Journal of the American Medical Association, 1999, 282(3), 239-246.
- Wei, M. et al. Alcohol intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes in men. Diabetes Care, 23(1), 2000, 18-26
- Wheeler, M., et al. Is there a place for alcohol in your diabetes meal plan? Diabetes Forecast, 2003 (August).
This site does not dispense medical, legal, or any other advice and none should be inferred.
For more fine print, read the disclaimer.