Alcohol and the body trivia is fun! Discover surprising facts about alcohol and the body. Share what you learn with friends. Please remember that none of this information is advice. That should come from your doctor. Alcohol and the Body Trivia The human body creates alcohol constantly. It can’t live without making it. The process […]
Category: Fun Facts
Politicians and alcohol trivia is fun! Alcohol has always been an important part of American life since the first European settlers landed. Indeed, the Mayflower cut short her voyage to a mild climate and landed early because the supply of beer on board was running low. This list of politicians, patriots, and other leaders includes […]
Bar trivia is fun! Discover fascinating trivia about bars, taverns, bartenders, liquor stores and others purveyors of alcoholic beverages. Then share your discoveries of bar trivia with them. Bar Trivia Want to visit the longest bar in the world? It’s in the New Bulldog bar in Rock Island, Illinois. Bring all your friends. There’s plenty […]
Liquor trivia is fun! Liquor trivia is about distilled spirits such as whiskey, vodka, tequila, rum, gin, rye, bourbon Scotch, and other spirit liquors. Discover trivia about your favorite drinks. Then share the fun with your friends. Liquor Trivia Bourbon is considered the official distilled spirit of the United States.1 A martini becomes a Gibson […]
Beer trivia is fun! You probably know which beer you like best. You might how much it costs. You may know where it’s sold. But how much do you really know about beer? Find out. Then you can amaze your friends with beer trivia that you’ve discovered. All vitamins and minerals necessary for good health […]
Wine trivia is fun! Enjoy these bits of trivia, some of which may surprise you. Then share your discoveries with your friends. Wine Trivia White wine is usually produced from red grapes.1 As it ages white wine gets darker. But red wine gets lighter as it ages.2 Poor soil tends to produce better wines than […]
Here are 12 surprising facts about alcohol, drinking and health. There are a lot of myths about alcohol in general and about drinking and health in particular. The 12 surprising facts about alcohol: 1. Drinking alcohol in moderation is associated with better health and longer life1 than either abstaining from alcohol or abusing it. 2. Drinking in […]
- Cavemen to Columbus
- United States
- Health and Safety
- It's the Law!
- Prohibition: The Noble Experiment
- Puritans to Prohibition
- Would You Believe?
Puzzles and Quizes
- Bar Exam
- George Washington Quiz
- Alcohol Message Wordsearch
- Alcohol Trivia Crossword
- Alcoholic Beverage Wordsearch
World Alcohol and Drinking History
- The Timeline
- Antiquity through the Ancient Greeks
- Greeks and Romans
- The Middle Ages
- The Renaissance
- The Age of Discovery
- European Expansion
- The Emergence of Temperance
- The Rapid Growth of Temperance
- Economic Depression and Prosperity
- The Recent Decades
- Bourbon Country Trail
- Alcohol and Drinking in American Life and Culture
- The American Whiskey Trail
- The Historic Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 and Other Significant Competitions
- “Beer Before Liquor, Never Beer Sicker”
- Alcohol “Proof” and “Alcohol by Volume”: Definitions and Explanations
- Sober People Now Too Drunk to Drive in New York State
- Museum of the American Cocktail Now Open
- Early Wine Cellar found in Jamestown
- Bottle of Very Rare Irish Whiskey up for Sale: $182,000
- Alcohol and Nudity
- Arrests for Intoxication Rise Dramatically
- September Named “National Bourbon Heritage Month” by U.S. Senate
- Abel, E. "Moderate" drinking during pregnancy: A cause for concern? Clinica Chimica Acta, 1996, 246, 149-154.
- Behrendt, A., and Behrendt, B. Cognac. New York: Abbeville Press, 1997.
- Brown, G. Classic Spirits of the World. London: Prion, 1995.
- Chafetz, Morris E. A Plan to Prevent Drunk Driving. Washington, DC: Health Education Foundation, 1983.
- Colditz, G. A. Alcohol intake in relation to diet and obesity in women and men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1991, 54, 49-55.
- Day, N. L. The effects of prenatal exposure to alcohol. Alcohol Health and Research World, 1992, 16(2), 328-244.
- Donelson, A. C., et al. The Role of Alcohol in Fatal Traffic Crashes. British Columbia, 1985-1986. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Traffic Safety Research Foundation, 1989.
- Doxat, John. The World of Drinks and Drinking. New York: Drake Publishers, 1971.
- Du Florey, et al. A European concerted action: Maternal alcohol consumption and infants' development at 18 months. International Journal of Epidemiology, 1992, 21 (Suppl. 1).
- Eames, A. D. Secret Life of Beer: Legends, Lore and Little-Known Facts. Pownal, Vermont: Storey, 1995
- Edmunds, L. Martini Straight Up. Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins Press, 1998.
- Ellison, R. Curtis. Does Moderate Alcohol Consumption Prolong Life? New York: American Council on Science and Health, 1993.
- Emmons, B. Gins and Vodkas. Peru, Illinois: Open Court, 2000.
- Emmons, B. The Book of Tequila. Chicago: Open Court, 1997.
- Engs, Ruth C. Alcohol and other Drugs: Self-Responsibility. Bloomington, IN: Tichenor, 1987.
- Faith, N. Cognac. Boston: Godine, 1987.
- Faith, N., and Faith, I. Classic Vodka. London: Prion, 1997.
- Foley, Ray P. The Spirits of Ireland. New York: Foley Books, 1998.
- Ford, Gene. The French Paradox: and Drinking for Health. San Francisco, CA: Wine Appreciation Guild, 1993.
- Forrest, F., and du Florey, C. Reported social alcohol consumption during pregnancy and infants' development at 18 months. British Medical Journal, 1991, 303, 22-26.
- Furnas, J. C. The Life and Times of the Late Demon Rum. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1965.
- Gabanyi, Stefan. Whiskey. New York: Abbeyville Press, 1997.
- Getz, O. Whiskey: An American Pictorial History. New York: David McKay, 1978.
- von Goeben, R., and Milne, B. Vodka. New York: Friedman/Fairfax, 2000.
- Goodlett, C. R, and Peterson, S. D. Sex differences in vulnerability to developmental learning deficits induced by limited binge alcohol exposure in neonatal rats. Neurobiological Learning and Memory, 1995, 64(3), 265-275.
- Grimes, William. Straight Up or on the Rocks: A Cultural History of American Drink. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993.
- Gunn, N. M. Whiskey and Scotland. London: Routledge, 1935.
- Hallgarten, P. Spirits and Liqueuers. London: Faber and Faber, 1983.
- Hannum, H., and Blumberg, R. S. Brandies and Liqueurs of the World. New York: Doubleday, 1976.
- Harris, J. F., and Waymack, M. H. Single-Malt Whiskies of Scotland. Chicago: Open Court. 1992.
- Hewitt, T. Furman. A Biblical Perspective on the Use and Abuse of Alcohol and Other Drugs. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Department of Human Resources. Pastoral Care Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse, 1980.
- Jackson, M. Single Malt Scotch. Philadelphia: Running Press, 1999.
- Jeffers, H.P. High Spirits. New York: Lyons and Burford, 1997.
- Kahn, H. S., et al. Stable behaviors associated with adults' 10-year change in body mass index and likelihood of gain at waist. American Journal of Public Health, 1997, 87(5), 747-754.
- Lands, W. E. M., and Zakharari, S. The case of the missing calories. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1994, 59, 619-625.
- Lanza, J. The Cocktail: Influence of Spirits on the American Psyche. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1995.
- Lender, Mark E., and Martin, James K. Drinking in America. New York: Free Press, 1982.
- Limon, E. M. Tequila: The Spirit of Mexico. New York: Abbeville Press, 1998.
- Logsdon, G. Good Spirits: A New Look at Ol' Demon Alcohol. White River Junction, Vermont: Chelsea Green, 1999.
- McCarthy, Ed., and Ewing-Mulligan, Mary. Wine for Dummies. Foster City, IDG Books, 1995.
- Mannisto, S., et al. Reported alcohol intake, diet and body mass index in male smokers. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1996, 50, 239-245.
- Marcus, Kim. You don't have to abstain while dieting. Wine Spectator, May 31, 1997, p. 13.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The Incidence and Role of Drugs in Fatally Injured Drivers. Washington, DC: NHTSA, Technology Transfer Series 57, 1993.
- O'Brien, John M., and Seller, Sheldon C. Attributes of alcohol in the Old Testament. The Drinking and Drug Practices Surveyor, 1982, Number 18, pp. 18-24.
- O'Hara, C. B. The Bloody Mary. New York: Lyons Press, 1999.
- Penttila, A., et al. Alcohol and Drugs in Finland: Drivers Killed in Traffic Accidents. In: Noordzi, P. C., and Roszbach, R. (Eds.) Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science Publishers, 1987, pp. 263-266.
- Pokhlebkin, W. A History of Vodka. London: Verso, 1992.
- Prendergast, Michael L. A History of Alcohol Problem Prevention Efforts in the United States. In: Holder, Harold D. (Ed.) Control Issues in Alcohol Abuse Prevention: Strategies for States and Communities. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1987, pp. 25-52.
- Raymond, Irving W. The Teaching of the Early Church on the Use of Wine and Strong Drink. New York: Columbia University Press, 1927.
- Regan, G., and Regan, M. The Book of Bourbon and other Fine American Whiskeys. Burlington, Vermont: Chapters, 1994.
- Royce, James E. Alcohol Problems: A Comprehensive Survey. New York: Free Press, 1981.
- Rumpler, W. V., et al. Energy value of moderate alcohol consumption. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1996, 64, 108-114.
- Simpson, H. M., and Mayhew, D. R. The Hard Core Drinking Driver. Ottawa, Ontario. Canada: Traffic Injury Research Foundation, 1991.
- Stratton, K., Howe, C., and Battaglia, F. (Eds.) Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Diagnosis, Epidemiology, Prevention, and Treatment. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1996.
- Streissguth, A. P., et al. Prenatal alcohol and offspring development: The first fourteen years. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 1994, 36(2), 89-99.
- Vingilis, E. Drinking Drivers and Alcoholics: Are they from the Same Population. In: Smart, R., Glasser, F., and Israel, Y. (Eds.) Research Advances in Alcohol and Drug Problems. Vol 7. New York: Plenum, 1983.
- Walker, A., and Walker, L. Tequila. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1994.
- Waymack, M. H., and Harris, J. F. The Book of Classic American Whiskeys. Chicago: Open Court,1995.