Suicide Rates and Alcohol Consumption
To determine if suicide rates in the U.S. are associated with changes in the per capita consumption of alcohol, data for a period of over 50 years (1950-2002) were analyzed.
Analyses included both total and beverage-specific data.
There was no correlation between suicide rates and alcohol consumption rates, either overall or for specific beverages (beer, liquor or distilled spirits, and wine).
- Landberg. Per capita alcohol consumption and suicide rates in the U.S., 1950-2002. Suicide and Life Threatening Behaviors, 2009, 39(4), 453-459.
- Alcohol and Suicide Among Racial/Ethnic Populations—17 States, 2005-2006. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 2009, 302(7), 733-734.
- Gossop M. Alcohol in suicide attempts and completions. Psychiatric Annals, 2005, 35, 513–21.
Hufford, M.R. Alcohol and suicidal behavior. Clinical Psychological Review, 2001, 21, 797–811.
- Kendall, R. E. Alcohol and suicide. Substance and Alcohol Misuse, 1993, 4(2-3),121-7.
- Lester D. Alcohol availability, alcoholism, and suicide and homicide. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 1995, 21,147–50.
Lester D. Alcoholism, substance abuse, and suicide. In: Maris, R.W., et al. Comprehensive Textbook of Suicidology. N. Y., Guilford Press, 2000, pp. 357–75.
May, P.A., et al. Alcohol and suicide death among American Indians of New Mexico: 1980–1998. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior, 2002, 32, 240–55.
Nemtsov, A. Suicides and alcohol consumption in Russia, 1965-1999. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2003, 71, 161–8.
Norstrom, T. Alcohol and suicide: a comparative analysis of France and Sweden. Addiction, 1995, 90, 1463–9.
Razvodovsky, Y. Alcohol and suicide in Belarus. European Psychiatry, 2009, 24 (Supplement 1), S.189.
Sher, L. Alcohol use and suicide rates. Medical Hypotheses, 2005.
Sher L, Zalsman G. Alcohol and adolescent suicide. Int J Adolesc Med Health 2005; 17:197–203.
Skog, O.J., et al. Alcohol and suicide—The Portuguese experience. Addiction, 1995, 90, 1053–61.