A man's life was saved when a hospital in Australia drip-fed him the equivalent of three standard drinks of vodka per hour for three days after he had consumed ethylene glycol, a common ingredient of antifreeze that can cause kidney failure.
Pure alcohol is typically given patients because it inhibits the toxic effects of ethylene glycol. Doctors at Mackay Base Hospital in Queensland state said the patient was given pharmaceutical-grade alcohol until the hospital's supply ran out. They then switched to vodka and the patient recovered.
Hospital administrators were very understanding of the physicians' purchase of the case of vodka.
Filed Under: Alcohol and Health