Researchers wanted to test drinking alcohol and dementia risk. In this case, they studied older Mexican-Americans.
I. The Study
In 2004/05 they studied a group of people. They were aged 75 or older. It was an analysis of 1,255 people. All were Mexican-Americans living in the U.S. southwest. They were tested for memory, language, and orientation. Also for attention, and visual-spatial skills. They had no dementia at that time. And they took the same test in 2020/21.
People were grouped as
- Life-long abstainers (41.8%).
- Former drinkers (42.0%).
- Current drinkers (16.3%).
Current alcohol drinkers had a 37% lower risk of dementia than life-long abstainers. Former drinkers had a 15% lower risk than life-long non-drinkers.
Research shows that drinking alcohol and dementia risk is lower among older adults. That’s been found repeatedly in studies of older non-Hispanic white people. This is true in the U.S. and other countries.
Researchers now found “the association between late life alcohol consumption and dementia risk among Hispanic older adults.” That is, just like among others, drinking alcohol reduces the risk of dementia.
II. Resources: Alcohol and Dementia Risk
- Alcohol and Dementia Risk: Is There a Link?
- Drinking and Dementia, Alzheimer’s, & Memory Loss.
- Alcohol and Dementia in Ageing.
- Moderate Drinking and Lower Risk of Dementia.
- Alcohol Lowers Dementia Risk.
- Drinking Reduces Dementia Risk.
- Risk of Dementia Reduced by Drinking Alcohol.
- Drinking Reduces Alzheimer’s Disease Risk.
- Abstaining from Alcohol Increases Dementia.
- Andrews, J. When Someone You Love has Dementia. Berkeley: Greystone, 2016.
- Mace, N. And Rabins, P. The 36-hour Day. Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Dementia. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins, 2021.
- Mars, L. Dementia Handbook and Resource Guide. Amenia, NY: Grey, 2020.
- Phelps, K. How to Keep Your Brain Young. Sydney: Pan Macmillan, 2021.
- Whalley, L. Understanding Brain Aging and Dementia. NY: Columbia U Press, 2015.
- Villarreal Rizzo, A. and Downer B. The Link between Late-Life Alcohol Consumption and Dementia. Geron Geri Med. 2022, 8.
- This site gives no advice. Please see your doctor for questions.