The Mediterranean diet (MD) has long been recognized as being highly effective to good health. It’s also very useful in reducing the risks cardiovascular diseases. Both alcohol and the MD can improve health. But what’s the M and what’s the importance of alcohol in it?
The MD is
- Consuming alcohol (beer, wine and liquor) regularly and in moderation.
- Limiting meat and dairy products.
- Eating lots of veggies, legumes, nuts, fruits, cereals and fish.
- Eating monounsaturated fats over saturated fats.
Researchers at the University of Athens made an analysis of Greek data from the European study EPIC. They did so at a scientific meeting.
They calculated the specific sources of the health benefits provided by the Mediterranean diet. Here are their findings.
- Moderate alcohol (beer, wine, liquor or spirits) drinking (24%)
- Low intake of meat and meat products (17%)
- High vegetable consumption (16%).
- Nut and fruit consumption (11%).
- Monounsaturated-to-saturated fat consumption (11%).
- Legume consumption (11%).
The MD reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Those are responsible for at least half the deaths in the US each year. Also the diet gives many other benefits to health and long life.
Resources: Drinking Alcohol and the Mediterranean Diet
Alcohol, Health & Longevity. Is it the Alcohol or the Lifestyle?
Moderate Drinking Reduces Heart and Circulation Diseases.
Alcohol, Tradition, and Health. How are They Connected?
Raffetto, M. and Peterson, W. The Mediterranean Diet for Dummies. Hoboken: Wiley, 2017.
Riolo, A. The Ultimate Mediterranean Diet Cookbook. Beverly, MA: Fair Winds, 2015.
Sanchez, A. The Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease through the Mediterranean Diet. London: Academic, 2018.
Santos, R. The Mediterranean Diet.Berkeley: Ulysses, 2017.
Am Coun Sci and Health. Clarifying the Mediterranean diet. Health and Sci Dispatch. May, 2013.
Phend, C. Mediterranean Diet Still being Refined. MedPage Today, April 22, 2013.
Visit the Oldways website for recipes and other helpful info,
Pyramid by permission Oldways.
At this point you now know much more about alcohol and the Mediterranean diet than most people. So congrats!