It’s upsetting to learn that arrests for intoxication rose sharpley. It more than doubled within a period of only five years.
Being drunk is never safe. It can harm the drinker as well as others. Yet increases in arrests are not uniform across the country
Arrests for Intoxication Rose Sharply
Bangor Maine’s Bangor Daily News reported on the number of arrests for drunkenness in the city. They reached an all-time high of 2,385. The number of such arrests more than doubled in the previous five years.
The paper’s headline was “STARTLING FIGURE.” And that’s a reasonable assessment of the distressing statistics. No other crime even came close. There were only 63 arrests for larceny and 50 for assault and battery during the same year, which was 1906.
We often think that drinking arrests are a recent problem. But this example from serves as a healthy dose of reality. In fact, drinking-related problems have been declining since around 1980. This includes alcohol-related traffic deaths.
- How Can I Sober Up Fast?
- Alcohol Tests (Hair, Saliva, Sweat) Accurate?
- How Long Does Alcohol Stay in The Body?
- For How Long Can a Breath Tester Detect Alcohol?
- How Long Can Urine Alcohol Tests Detect Alcohol?
- Wow Long Does Alcohol Stay in the Body?
- DWI and DUI Facts and Fiction.
- Kudzu for Hangovers: Helps Sober Up & Relieve Hangovers?
- Cohen. J. and Everett, D. Punch Drunk. (Australia) DVD.
Drinking arrests set record… Bangor Daily News.