Kentucky’s Bourbon Country Trail is a very popular drive. Travellers can visit six Bourbon distilleries located close to each other. They’re scattered among the rolling hills west of Lexington.
Bourbon has been a part of American history and culture for over 200 years. As a result, Congress has declared Bourbon to be the official distilled spirit of the United States. In addition, the Senate named September “National Bourbon Heritage Month.”
The Cable News Network (CNN) described the Bourbon Country Trail as a “Top 10 Classic American Experience.” It also aired a feature about the Trail.
In addition to the Bourbon Country Trail itself, visitors can enjoy the
- Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History.
- Overland Relay of the Bourbon Country Trail.
- Kentucky Bourbon Festival. It’s held for six days every September.
Discover much more about the Trail from The Kentucky Bourbon Trail. It’s by Berkeley and Jeanine Scott. Click on the title to learn the nearest library holding the book. If it’s too far, use the Interlibrary Loan servive at your local library. The book also describes the new Kentucky Bourbon Trail Craft Tour.
Resources: Bourbon Country Trail
- Carson, G. The Social History of Bourbon. Lexington, KY: U Press of KY, 2010.
- Cecil, S. The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky. Paducah, KY: Turner, 1999.
- Cowdery, C. Made & Bottled in Kentucky. The Story of Bourbon Whiskey. DVD video, Chicago: Chowdery, 2003.
- Crowgey, H. Kentucky Bourbon. The Early Years of Whiskeymaking. Lexington: U Press of KY, 1971.
- Getz, O. and Bilow, I. Whiskey: An American Pictorial History. NY: McKay, 1978.
- Kroll, H. Bluegrass, Belles, and Bourbon: A Pictorial History of Whisky in Kentucky. South Brunswick, NJ: Barnes, 1967.
- Lindsay, K. Whiskey Makers for Thristy Frontiersmen: The Offspring of Darby Shawhan – Originators of Bourbon Whiskey. Evansville, IN: Kenma, 1994.
- Lubbers, B. Bourbon Whiskey: Our Native Spirit. Indianapolis: Blue River, 2011.
- Murray, J. Classic Bourbon, Tennessee & Rye Whiskey. London: Prion, 1998.
- Percy, W. Bourbon. Winston-Salem, NC: Palaemon, 1979.
- Regan, G. and Regan, M. The Book of Bourbon and other fine American Whiskeys. Shelburne, VT: Chapters, 1995.
- Schmid, A. The Kentucky Bourbon Cookbook. Lexington: U Press of KY, 2010.
Kentucky Bourbon Country Trail website.