Church Temperance Society (Protestant Episcopal Church)

Short Name

The Church Temperance Society. That’s the short name of the Temperance Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of America. The society was established in 1881 to promote temperance, ‘rescue’ the intemperate, and eliminate the perceived causes of intemperance.

In promoting temperance, the Society considered the moderate consumption of alcohol and the total abstinence from alcohol to be equally acceptable options.

Other Activities

In addition to  religious preaching, the Society engaged in other activities.

Church Temperance SocietyPromoting coffee houses as alternatives to saloons.

Prohibiting alcohol sales on Sunday.

Improving housing for the poor.

Prohibiting alcohol sales to minors.

Increasing fees and taxes on saloons.

Prohibiting alcohol sales to intoxicated customers.

Restricting the number of saloons to one for every 500 residents.

Establishing local option laws permitting local areas to impose local prohibition,

To support its views, the society published a monthly paper, Temperance.

Two youth organizations, the Knights of Temperance and the Young Crusaders, were outgrowths of the Church Temperance Society.

Other Temperance Groups

A number of similar organizations, usually religious in nature, existed. They included these.

Cadets of Temperance

Catholic Total Abstinence Union of America

Friends of Temperance

Knights of Father Mathew

Methodist Board of Temperance, Prohibition, and Public Morals

National Temperance Society and Publishing House

Royal Templars of Temperance

Sons of Temperance

Templars of Honor and Temperance

United Friends of Temperance


Church Temperance Society. The Manual of the Church Temperance Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church. NY: The Society, 1882.

Church Temperance Society. Proposed Excise Bill for the State of New York.  NY: The Society, 1885.

Graham, R. Church Temperance Society. In: Spooner, W. (Ed.) The Cyclopaedia of Temperance and Prohibition. NY: Funk & Wagnalls, 1891, p. 81.