What is the minimum age for bartending? Most U.S. states permit adults to tend bar in on-premises venues. That is, people age 18 to 20.
Below is the minimum age for bartending in each state.
- Age for Bartending
A “bartender” is a person who dispenses alcoholic beverages. On the other hand, “server” refers to a waitperson.
In some states, adults under 21 may legally tend bar. But only in certain types of on-premises places, such as restaurants.
Often, bartenders must be at least a given age. But younger employees may stock coolers with alcohol. Or clear alcohol from tables.
Some states place conditions on on-premises bartenders under age 21. For example, that a supervisor 21 or older be present. Or it might require that a bartender under 21 take special training.
II. The Minimum Age for Bartending in On-premises Establishments by State
|GA||District of Columbia (Washington DC)|
|HI||IN (18 with restrictions)|
|IA||KY (20 with restrictions)|
III. Resources on Bartending: Minimum Age for Bartending
These resources are about successful bartending. They give much helpful information. However, they don’t address the minimum age for bartending.
- Boothby, W. and Burkhart, D. Cocktail Boothby’s American Bartender. San Francisco: Anchor, 2009.
- Broom, D. The Bartender’s Book. London: Carlton, 2018.
- Brown, M. Bartending: How to and … What’s it Like? Gloucester: How, 2018.
- Burton, J. Bartending Basics. Everything You Need to Know to be a Working Bartender. NY: Mud Puddle, 2011.
- Charming, C. The Everything Bartender’s Book. Avon: Adams, 2015.
- Cho, C. A Beginner’s Guide to Become a Bartender. New Delhi: World, 2012.
- Dixon, J. Bartending Made Easy. Albany, IN: DiskUs, 2001.
- Feller, R. and Lifshitz, L. The Complete Bartender. NY: Berkley, 2015.
- Foley, R. Bartending for Dummies. Hoboken: Wiley, 2014.
- Hoopla (firm). Become a Professional Bartender. eVideo. Hoopla, 2004.
- Jeffreys, H. And Wylesol, G. The Cocktail Dictionary. An A-Z of Cocktail Recipes. London: Mitchell Beasley, 2020.
- Kangas, R. Making Money as a Bartender in Your Spare Time.
Cambridge, MA: Barnes & Noble, 1992.
- Marcus, L. Bartending Inside-out. Chicago: Independent, 2008.
- Matt, W. The Modern Cocktail. Small, 2017.
- Mix, I. et al. Cócteles de América Latina. NY: Vintage, 2021.
- Morrell, T. Bartending Basics: a Complete Beginner’s Guide. Vancouver, WA: Pratzen, 2008.
- Sennett, B. Complete World Bartender Guide. NY: Bantam, 2009.
- Sparks, B. How to Land a Top-paying Bartenders Job. Dayboro: Emero, 2012.
- Vancil, D. Who’s Your Bartender? Bloomington, IN: Trafford, 2012.
- Zavatto, A. The Complate Idiot’s Guide to Bartending. Indianapolis: Alpha, 2011.
Also see these
Also visit Drinking Jokes and One Liners (Alcohol Humor). These can be helpful in bartending. And increase tips!
Do not rely on this website. Nor any other website for legal info about the minimum age for bartending. Laws change. Courts reinterpret them. A town may have its own higher minimum age for bartending.
In addition, this website does not give any legal advice. So always ask a lawyer for legal help.