Almost one quarter of all alcohol and drug rehabilitation facilities in the U.S. are non-12-step programs. These are the findings of a recent survey by a federal agency (SAMSHA).
Overview of Non-12-Step Programs
II. Non Rehabs
People who prefer a non-12-step program or rehab have a wide choise. Here are alphabetical lists of a random sample.
First are non-12-step rehabs.
Second are free or low-cost non-12 step programs.
Third are non-12- step programs for outpatients.
I. Non-12-Step Programs (Rehabs)
- Rec = Recovery
- Rehab = Rehabilitation
- San = Sanctuary
- Treat = Treatment
- Alta Mira Rec Programs (San Francisco, CA)
- A Positive Alternative (Seattle, WA)
- Ascend Rec (Highland, UT)
- Assisted Rec Centers of America (Many locations)
- Aton Center (San Diego County, CA)
- Bayside Marin (Marin County, CA)
- Beachway Therapy Center (Delray Beach, FL)
- Chapters Capistrano (San Clemente, CA)
- Clarity Way (south central PA)
- Cold Creek (Kaysville, UT)
- Cornerstone (Scottsdale, AZ)
- DARA Thailand (Koh Chang, Thailand)
- Exclusive Hawaii (see The Exclusive Hawaii)
- Gulf Breeze Rec (Pensacola Beach, FL)
- Gulf Coast Addiction Treat Destin, FL)
- Harbor Hall (Petrosky, MI)
- Hawaii Natural Drug Rehab (near Hilo, HI)
- Holistic Sanc (see The Holistic Sanc)
- Journey Malibu (Malibu, CA)
- Miramar (Laguna Beach, CA)
- Morningside Rec (Newport Beach, CA)
- Mountain View Behavioral Health Centers (Gadsden, AL)
- New Method Wellness (San Juan Capistrano and Capo Beach, CA)
- Orchard Rec Center (near Vancouver, BC)
- Passages Malibu (Malibu, CA)
- Passages Ventura (Ventura, CA)
- Practical Rec (San Diego, CA)
- Promises Treat Centers (Malibu and West Los Angeles, CA and Austin, TX)
- Ranch Creek Rec (near San Diego, CA)
- Ripple Ranch (Bulverde, TX)
- Sanc at Sedona (see The Sanc at Sedona).
- Schick Shadel (Seattle, WA and Denton, TX).
- Seasons in Malibu (Malibu, CA)
- St. Gregory Retreats Center (Des Moines, IA)
- Suncoast Rehab Center (Spring Hill, FL)
- Sunshine Coast (near Vancouver, BC)
- Synergy Treat Center (Memphis, TN).
- The Exclusive Hawaii (Honokaa, HI)
- The Holistic Sanc (Baja,CA)
- The Sanc at Sedona (Sedona, AZ)
- The Sundance Center, now Cornerstone (Scottsdale, AZ)
- The Treat Center (Boca Raton, FL)
- Turning Point Centers (many locations in Utah)
II. Non-12-Step Programs (Non-Rehabs)
Very few people need to enter a rehab facility. Most achieve success using a non 12 step programs such as the following. These permit people to continue living at home and avoid the expense, travel, inconveniences, and anxieties of entering a rehab.
HAMS (Harm reduction, Abstinence and Moderation Support) is a free information and mutual help group. It’s for people to want those to change their drinking for the better. Members may choose whatever goals they want, whether they be, such as drinking more safely, reducing consumption, or abstaining.
LifeRing is a free network of support groups. It helps people live free from undesired substance use by empowering themselves.
Secular Organizations for Sobriety (SOS) is a network of independent, non-professional local groups. They all work to help people become sober/abstinen. It can be from alcoholism, and addiction, food addiction and others.
SMART Recovery (Self-Management And Recovery Training) is a free program that teaches proactional techniques for eliminating dependence on alcohol.
Women for Sobriety helps women empower themselves to overcome their drinking problems in its free program.
III. Non 12-Step Programs (Outpatient)
Many people benefit from an outpatient program. This is a very small, illustrative sample. Check locally to find programs and therapists near you. Local college or university psychology or psychiatry departments are often a good source of information.
Another way to identify therapists is to consult directories of therapists. For example, the Association for Behavioral Cognitive Therapies lists over 100 therapists who speciaizey in alcohol abuse and addictive behaviors. Other directories include those of the Association of Humanistic Psychology, and of the Gestalt Therapy Network.
Brain Treat Center (Newport Beach, CA).
Inspire Malibu Outpatient Treatment Center (Agoura Hills, CA).
My Doctor Med Group (San Francisco, CA).
Reason for Rec (Raleigh, NC).
The Canyon Outpatient Services (Santa Monica, CA).
The Life Process Program. (Available everywhere).
Turning Point Outpatient Programs (Available in Utah and Idaho).
Selecting a rehab or other program is a major decision. Do it only after very carefully considering all factors.
- Neither this website nor your host receives any benefit for listing. The use of non-12-step program, non 12-step program, and non 12 step program are the same.
- Know of a program not listed? If so, please contact hansondj [at sign] potsdam [dot] edu/. And thank you for your help!