Unreliable breathalyzer tests unjustly harm innocent drivers. Strict enforcement of DWI and DUI laws is essential. It increases public safety and reduces needless injuries and deaths. But we must prevent innocent drivers from unreliable breathalyzer tests.
Unreliable breathalyzer tests can provide falsely high blood alcohol concentration (BAC) results. In reality, these devices don’t actually measure BAC. They only estimate it. The same is true for urine, saliva, and other so-called tests. The only actual test of BAC level requires a sample of blood.
Impaired driving is both dangerous and illegal. These books provide guidance on maintaining a low BAC level. They also provide information to protect the legal rights of all drivers.
Decker, K. DUI Bible: Avoiding a Drunk Driving Conviction. Xlibris, 2008.
Hudson, T. The Drinker’s Guide to Driving : the Secrets of DUI, From One of America’s Top DUI Lawyers. BookBaby, 2013.
Lauterjung, L. DUI law for Drivers: How to Avoid DUI Arrests and How to Handle a DUI Stop. IL: Lauterjung, 2012.
Pierce, F. DUI: How to Avoid a Drunk Driving Arrest and Conviction. Boulder: Paladin Press, 2007.
- Alcohol Breath Analyzer Accuracy.
- DUI Defendants and Alcohol Blood Tests.
- DWI/DUI Facts & Fiction: Urban Myths.
- Breathalyzer Accuracy and DWI/DUI Conviction Rates.
- DUI Tests Must Now be Accurate (in Ohio).
- Florida DUI Convictions Based on False Alcohol Breath Test Machine Results.
- Unreliable Alcohol Breath Tests in DWI/DUI Court Cases
- Unreliable Alcohol Breath Test (‘Breathalyzer’) Readings Rejected.
- New Alcohol Breath Test Challenged.
- Judge: High BAC Readings Don’t Necessarily Prove DWI.
- Alcohol Breath Testers: Incorrect Readings.
- Tongue Studs and Breathalyzer Tests.
Related DWI & DUI Issues
An ad on busses simply states: ‘Impaired Driving Lawyers’ along with a telephone number and website address. This enraged MADD officials. They insist that the availability of legal counsel is harmful. That it’s “the message that it’s OK to drink and drive, because you can get away with it'”1 Of course, it also sends the message that DWI can lead to expensive legal troubles. In any case, it’s important to protect the innocent. The U.S. Constitution demands it.
- Prevent Unjust Conviction for DWI or DUI Charges.
- ‘Tough’ and ‘Lenient’ DWI/DUI Judges.
- DUI/DWI and Soft Judges.
- DWI/DUI Sobriety Road Blocks or Checkpoints.
- DWI Convictions are Costly.
- DUI/DWI Victim Impact Panels.
- National Motorist Association on DWI/DUI.
- Drinking AFTER Driving Illegal?
- What is Impairment?
- Magistrate Tells Man Convicted of DWI to Kill Himself.
- New DWI/DUI Law Unconstitutional?
- Drunken Driving (DWI) Law Challenged.
- Drinker Tells Doctor, Loses Driver’s License.
- Death Penalty for DWI Offenders Proposed.
- DWI/DUI Laws of U.S. States.
- Canada’s Drunk and Impaired Driving Laws.
Readings on unreliable breathalyzer tests.
- Hlastula, M. Physiological errors associated with alcohol breath tests. Champion, 1985, 9(6).
- Ortiz, B. Court overturns conviction claiming alcohol level while driving didn’t mater. Herald-Leader, Oct 21, 2005.
- Pariser, J. In vino Veritas: the truth about blood alcohol presumption in state drunk driving laws. NY Law Rev, 1989, 64(1), 141-181.
- Taylor, L. Drunk Driving Defense. NY: Aspen, 5th ed, 2000. Analyzes unreliable breathalyzer tests.
Reference on unreliable breathalyzer tests.
- 1. MADD upset with lawyers’ impaired-driving ads. CBC, Jan 5, 2006. Warick, J. MADD upset by city bus ads. The Star Phoenix (Sask), Oct 1, 2005.